Form 26AS is introduced by income tax department and tdscpcl. It is a really useful tool which not only gives you annual tax related information, but also saves you from income tax notices.In this part, we will analysis each part of form 26AS.
Form 26AS is divided in six parts:
Here, we can see information about total TDS deducted by deductor during the year.
- Sections means in which income tax section your tds was deducted.
- Transaction date means when an amount was deposited or credited to your account.
- To get the tax credit, the status of booking should be ‘F’. F means the final status of TDS. It means tds deposited by the deductor in the bank and tds amount filed by deductor in tds statement is matched.
In other case, it will be O (overbooked): Amount claimed in tds statement exceeds tds deposited in bank, U(unmatched): amount claimed in tds statement does not match with amount deposited in bank, P (provisionally matched)-tds deducted by book entry by government and still not verified by PAO.
- Date of booking means TDS return filing date.
- Amount paid / credited means the amount credited or paid to your account on which tax was deducted.
- Tax deducted means TDS deducted from amount credited/paid.
- TDS Deposited means TDS deposited in government account.If TDS is deducted but not deposited in government account, you will not get tax credit. Compare this figure with your form 16/16AS total tds deposited amount. If there is any difference, contact your tax deductor and ask him to revise the return so that you can get tds credit on income tax return.
Details of TDS deducted for form 15G/15H
Details of TDS on sale of immovable property u/s 194IA:
If you have sold any property during the year, sale value is more than 50 lacs and you have deducted TDS at 1% u/s 194IA. This amount will be reflected in this part.
Details of TCS:
This part reveals details about your tax collected at source. TCS will be applicable for certain purchases.
Details of tax paid:
This part shows your tax payment (other than TDS/TCS). It shows self assessment tax paid by you and advance tax paid by you during the year.
Details of refund : If you receive any tax refund during the year, it will reflect in this part. The refund may be any assessment year.
Details of AIR transactions:
If you have done high value of transaction like purchase of share, debenture, immovable property for prescribed limit etc. during the year, it will be reflected in this part as AIR trasaction.
Details of TDS on sale of immovable property u/s 194IA (For buyer of property):
When you purchase any immovable property and tds is deducted by the buyer, TDS amount will be reflected in this part. Remember that you ( Seller) can get credit for it while filing tax return.
Conclusion: You can see that form 26AS reveals many things like tds/tcs deduction, advance tax paid, S.A. tax paid. You can use it to compare its value with FORM 16/16A. You can also know refund status. By utilizing form 26AS, you can avoid notices and be aware of tax trasactions.
I hope you like this article.If you have any query , ask us in comment section.You can read more article by subscribing our news letter. Just enter your email id for it. You can also follow us on social network.